The midwives of West Suburban Midwife Associates are strong supporters for Vaginal Birth After Cesarean, and our office has a high success rate for vaginal birth.
- We are able to attend primary VBAC patients (first vaginal birth after cesarean) as well as women who have had at least one successful vaginal birth after cesarean.
- Women who are planning a trial of labor after cesarean (known as TOLAC) are welcome in our practice. Use of the Alternative Birth Center and water birth is available to you to support a natural childbirth.
To ensure safety of mother and baby for TOLAC, we request a few minor impositions:
- Continuous fetal monitoring (using ambulatory telementry)
- IV heplock (meaning no IV bag of fluid is connected, just the port)
- Clear liquid diets
Women are free to move around the room, take a shower or bath, walk, squat, lunge, whatever!
We also attend women who plan or (must have) a repeat cesarean section who are seeking midwife attended prenatal care and a midwife with her during the cesarean to provide support, fulfill a birth plan, and assist in early breastfeeding.
For VBAC support groups and provider recommendations supporting VBAC in Illinois, visit the website for the International Cesarean Awareness Network.
According to the United States Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Cesarean birth is associated with higher maternal morbidity than routine vaginal birth.
Two of the national health objectives for 2010 are:
- Reduce the cesarean birth rate among women at low risk to 15% of women who are giving birth for the first time
- Reduce the cesarean birth rate among women to 63% of women with previous cesarean births